Each year, volunteers generously give roughly 20,000 hours to Camp Encourage. Without these volunteers and their gifts of time and talent, Camp Encourage would not be able to offer our campers the quality experience they deserve. Join the volunteer efforts of Camp Encourage. Many roles are available year round as well as during each camp session. We are happy to accommodate volunteer groups and organize corporate volunteer outings. For questions or arrangements, call 816.830.7171.
Volunteers gather prior to each session to complete a variety of preparation tasks to gear up for Camp Encourage. A group also gathers together to move our supplies from our office to camp and placing coordinating tubs with activity locations. Not only are these crucial details to ensure that each moment at camp run as smoothly as feasible, completing the tasks ends up being pretty fun gathering with other volunteers, parents, past campers, and supporters as we iron out the behind-the-scenes necessities.
Tasks may include inventorying materials, laminating, assembling volunteer notebooks, shopping for camp supplies from a detailed list (and with Camp Encourage funds), organizing materials, preparing name tags, preparing visual schedules for the campers, sorting tee shirts, and more.
To sign up, please click HERE.
An especially rewarding experience is that of sharing your time with the special campers during the week of Camp Encourage! Some roles are available for a portion of the week while others are designed to be roles for the entire stay.
2018 Camp Encourage overnight camp dates are as follows:
Note: for all camp volunteer roles listed below, a Volunteer Application will need to be submitted. For those interested in simply volunteering at the carnival, no application is required.
Counselor positions are typically the most rewarding camp experiences for staff members. It is recommended that counselors remain at camp during the entire session. Each counselor is assigned to a camper or small group of campers depending on the needs of the children and youth. He or she accompanies the camper(s) to all of the daily activities and resides overnight with the children in an air-conditioned cabin. This is a unique opportunity for students or professionals that work in the field to experience (to a very small extent) what it is like to live with a person with an autism spectrum disorder. Life long friendships and professional connections often develop during this experience and we feel confident that many will describe it as one of the most valuable of their lives.
An Activity Facilitator plans and facilitates daily activities in his or her area and/or areas of expertise (i.e. sensory, art, social development, campfire songs, music activities, yoga, relaxation strategies, self-advocacy, self-esteem) for the campers. These volunteers can give their time for a portion of a day, a portion of the week, or for the entire session.
The Photographer is in charge of taking and printing pictures of daily activities using the camp's digital camera. He or she will also assist in preparing the slideshow which is shown at the closing of camp to all campers and their families.
MEDICALLY TRAINED PROFESSIONAL
Medically Trained Professionals reside overnight to assist with any medical needs. These individuals are in charge of collecting and distributing prescription and over-the-counter medications.
(application not required)
Carnival only volunteers are needed for the evenings of Friday, June 22nd and Saturday, July 21st to assist our Carnival Chairs in setting up the carnival festivities for the campers the last evening of each camp session. Activities for these volunteers include setting up a booth (with all materials organized and supplied for you), facilitating a carnival activity / booth, interacting with the campers as they roam through the carnival, and tidying up following the fun. It's a great volunteer activity for groups (church, work, families, etc.)!
CLICK HERE to sign up to volunteer during 2018 carnival activities.
Occasionally we like to have a little fun, too. Our event planning efforts have both large and small tasks, depending on your availability.
Evening With The 'Rents
Volunteer the night of 'Rents. Opportunities include: assisting at the registration table, selling raffle tickets, setting up a snack table, photographing the event (and posting on our social media pages), escorting VIP ticket holders, and breaking down / cleaning up at the end of the night. If interested, please sign up HERE.
S'Mores & Pours
Committee members help with tasks ranging from marketing, finding donations for the auction, to helping with decorations and menu planning. Meetings are held about once at month at the Camp Encourage office. For questions or to sign up for the planning committee, contact our Events Coordinator.
The Board meets at least quarterly, but occasionally more. The Board is responsible for governance and policy-making, including decision making on Human Resources, Finance, Programming, Development (raising funds), and Technology.
Each Board Member is expected to
- regularly attend board meetings and important related meetings.
- make a commitment to participate actively in committee work.
- participate in fundraising for the organization.
- volunteer for and/or accept assignments while completing them thoroughly and on time.
- stay informed about committee matters, prepare themselves well for meetings, and review and comment on minutes and reports.
- get to know other committee members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
- serve as an active participant in the committee’s annual evaluation and planning efforts.
Each Director can serve two terms of three years each. At the end of six years, a Director must step down for one year before being eligible for reelection.
Nominees must be a person of good character and standing in the community and willing and able to:
- serve on committees,
- attend meetings, and
- make decisions that affect the operation of Camp Encourage.
It's not all work
Serving on the Board is rewarding. It is an opportunity to give back to Camp Encourage and to the community. At the end of your term you can look back and see your accomplishments in the faces of the children you serve. Camp Encourage exists because community members are involved. Serving on the Board of Directors is a chance to step up and make a difference.
If you are interested in serving on the Board of Directors, please write a short letter telling us why you want to serve and tell us about your background. Your letter can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need Further Information?
If you would like further information or would like to speak with someone, feel free to contact us at 816.830.7171 or email@example.com.
A variety of office tasks are available during the weekdays and can be scheduled per your convenience. This much appreciated volunteer opportunity might involve filing, organizing, taking inventory of camp supplies, light cleaning, and making copies. If interested, please contact Kelly.
Camp Encourage has a number of committee opportunities. Whether you are able to give a small or large amount of time, we encourage you to join committee efforts. Perhaps you prefer to gather in person, support an event, or complete behind-the-scenes tasks from home. Whatever your preference and whatever your schedule may allow, we are certain there is a role fit for you. You will be valuable and OH so appreciated (and likely will really enjoy the company of other committee members). Email Kelly today to express interest.
- assists with recruitment: guest, silent auction, and sponsorship acquisition
- promotes events / serves as an ambassador for the event
- attends post-event meeting (and celebration) to provide feedback on successes and challenges you experienced as a committee member (to strengthen future events)
- serves as financial stewards for the organization, understanding the primary goal of events is to raise funding for Camp Encourage
- assists with researching potential funding sources
- edits grants
- assists with campaigns (matching, year end, etc.)
- identifies and reaches out to partners in the community who might be interested in sponsoring Camp Encourage
- participates in donor appreciation
- assists with the development of the year end mailing piece
- assists with recruitment: volunteers and campers
- plays a role in camp programming
- serves as an ambassador spreading the word of our services (through speaking engagements, brochure distribution, and attendance at resource fairs)
- participates in program evaluation and strengthening (collects and reviews data and input)
- plays an important role in marketing (to campers, volunteers, and supporters)
- works together to develop goals and strategies to market according to current needs
- provides assistance or direction with social media